A no-cook fish or seafood dish that’s popular throughout the coastal regions of Latin America. The beauty of Cevice is that it can be made in advance and stored in the fridge, making it an ideal starter. Pac ‘n Vac vacuum food storage not only cuts the time needed for the marinading but keeps the finished dish looking perfect until the moment you serve it. The combination of colours and the unique taste of lime-marinaded fish makes this a dish you’ll come back to again and again.
Preparation time – 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time – no cooking required – the marinading process in which the fish is steeped in fresh lime juice takes the place of cooking.
For the ceviche
- 250g/9oz organic salmonfillet, skinned
- 2 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp red chillies, finely diced
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 150ml/5fl oz lime juice(about 5 limes)
- 20g/¾ caster sugar
- For the ceviche, lightly sprinkle the salmon fillet with rock salt and put into a Pac ‘n Vac small container and press down on the lid to seal with a vacuum. Transfer to the fridge and leave for 20 minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the fridge, carefully wash off all the salt and pat it dry.
- Slice the salmon at an angle – each piece needs to be about 2-3mm thick
- In the Pac ‘n Vac container that has the salmon in, add the chillies, lime zest, juice and the sugar. Put the lid back on and shake to mix.
- Leave in the fridge to marinade for 30 minutes